From the Civil Rights Team:
Here are some do’s and don’ts on how to request a religious accommodation:
- Do follow your employer’s policies when requesting an accommodation. Before making your request, review your employer’s policy and follow any procedures stated in the employee manual regarding notification and requesting time off.
- Do make clear that the reason you’re requesting the accommodation is because of a religious belief or practice.
- Do keep a personal record of when and how your request was made, and whether and how it was accommodated.
- Do follow up verbal requests in writing to ensure a written record is kept.
- Don’t recite the law please when requesting accommodation. Most employers will work with you to accommodate your requests for prayer and iftar breaks and time off on Eid.
To ensure your religious accommodation requests are granted, it is best to begin by following your employer’s procedures.
If, however, your reasonable requests for prayer and iftar breaks are not accommodated, please contact CAIR-WA’s Civil Rights Department immediately so we may try to assist you.
Ramadan in the Workplace: Know Your Rights Webinar
For more information about your rights in the workplace this Ramadan, attend CAIR’s webinar on June 15th or June 16th at 7:00 PM (PDT).
For additional questions or concerns, please call us at
(206) 367-4081 to speak with a member of our Civil Rights Department.
Civil Rights Manager